Fire, Smoke & Weather Resistance
Z-Block fabrics are high temperature polymer coated materials treated with a proprietary formulation of fire retardants. Z-Block offers exceptional resistance to fire, smoke, and adverse weather and can withstand temperatures up to 1800°F (980°C). The Z-Block coating is available on a range of base fabrics, including texturized fiberglass, filament fiberglass, and wire reinforced fiberglass. Both the coating and base fabrics are formulated with inorganic materials and will not produce hazardous outgassing.
Z-Block fabrics are available with a silicone overcoat (SOC). The coating creates a smoother finish that protects the fabric from abrasion, improves water tightness, and increases weather and UV resistance.
Newtex also manufactures a small selection of wire reinforced Z-Block fabrics. Each yarn used to weave the base fabric is reinforced with two stainless steel wires to create a stronger fabric with superior abrasion and puncture resistance. Wire reinforced Z-Block is ideal for fabricating turbine blankets and other jacketing that will be subject to vibration, abrasion, or repetitive movement.
Z-Block Fire & Smoke has been tested to the following standards:
- ASTM D6413: Vertical Flame Resistance
- ASTM E-84: Surface Flame Spread & Smoke Density
- ASTM F955: Molten metal splash
- FAR 25, Appendix F, Part III & IV: Flame Penetration Resistance & Smoke Density
- BSS 7239: Toxicity of Products Combustion
- Static and automatic fire and smoke curtains
- Fire containment covers (FCC's) for cargo
- Fire containment bags for personal electronic devices (PED's)
- Fire shields for roofs and buildings
- Fire shields for heavy equipment
- Custom multilayer pads and blankets
- Application Bulletin: Battery Fire Containment (PDF)
- Insulation Fabrics (PDF)
- Welding (PDF)
- Newtex Performance Materials Product Guide (PDF)
- Z-Block (PDF)
Typical Applications & Industries
Architectural & Construction, Smoke Control & Containment, Insulation, Lagging & Covers, Military & Homeland Security, Moisture & Chemical Barrier, Welding & Fire Protection,